One of the biggest obstacles men face when trying to develop a solid-looking chest is the ability to actually feel the chest working during the exercise session. Most men end up feeling the fatigue or the burn in the arms or shoulders, without being able to feel the effect in the chest muscles.
Here are some points to consider to overcome this problem:
1. Tight anterior delts: If the front part of your shoulder is too tight, you will most likely feel fatigue in the shoulders during chest exercises before you feel it in the chest. This will result in minimal chest development. To overcome this problem you will need to properly stretch out and massage the muscles in your front shoulders.
2. Shoulders back and down: When doing a pressing motion for the chest, make sure to keep your shoulders drawn back and down during the entire set. At the top of the pressing motion, you must make sure NOT to round your shoulders forward. If you do, this will place the strain on the front shoulder instead of the chest.
3. Strong rhomboids and lower traps: In order to keep your shoulders drawn back and down, you will need strong and stable rhomboid and lower trap muscles. If these muscles are not strong enough, you will have a tough time keeping your shoulders drawn back during a pressing set.
4. Elbows at 45 degrees: When doing a pressing motion, make sure to keep your elbows at a 45 degree angle in relation to the ribs. A 90 degree angle will result in more strain on the shoulders and less on the chest.
5. Lower back flat: the more you arch the lower back during a pressing motion, the less you will activate the chest. Make sure to keep your lower back firmly pressed against the bench when doing pressing motions. To do this, you will need to activate your core.
6. Strong support muscle groups: In order to achieve a well-developed chest, you need well-developed triceps and rotators of the shoulders. If the triceps and rotators are weak, your will not be able to achieve the desired chest strength and development.
7. Focus: focus is probably one of the most important aspects of a training session. You can’t amplify your intensity without maximizing focus. Leave your phone in the car. Don’t spend time checking people out. Don’t talk to people at the gym.
8. Sometimes a good idea is to hit the chest area 3 times a week for a few weeks if you’re really having trouble developing the chest and feeling your exercise routines in the chest muscles.
Note: If you want a sample of this chest routine, email me, and I’ll send you a free copy.